Ion cleanse foot bath detox. 405-340-4400
Screeching tires, broken glass. Now you have pain in your neck, arms and back. Over half of car wrecks result in an injury.
Get Checked By A Competent Doctor – Immediately!
Family Tree Chiropractic
12325 N May Ave Oklahoma City OK 73120
Will a chiropractor ever treat an adolescent during his professional career? Junior took a baseball right in the back. Julie fell off the human pyramid during cheerleading practice and landed on her back. Needless to say, parents of athletic adolescents are usually first in line at the chiropractic office.
Can Teens Suffer from Back Problems?
While back problems are more common in adults, they are a rarity in teens since the latter is more flexible and agile. That is why any backaches that accompany any athletic event (such as contact sports) should be immediately checked by a chiropractor.
Back Conditions in Teens
Back conditions that can affect teens or kids include –
- Any pain that worsens by performing gymnastic activities such as handsprings or the butterfly stroke in swimming may be indicative of spinal conditions such as Spondylolysis. Younger athletes have more chances of developing the condition than older kids who take part in sporting activities. The condition is often caused by over-use that causes constant trauma and is one of the most common causes of back pain in kids.
- This is also why the condition has more chances of occurring during a teen’s growth spurt, which is also why it is more common in boys rather than girls. A chiropractor might diagnose Spondylolysis in teens who are aged between 15 and 16.
- Any type of backache that causes compromises a teen’s balance or coordination may be caused by a problem in the spinal cord.
Adolescents and teens might put themselves in dangerous situations more than the average five year old, but the fact remains that they are still kids. In other words, they tend to be more aggressive in their activities than younger children. A four year old will probably not stick his hand in a light socket if he has been electrocuted once. However an adolescent will have to keep stressing his back especially if he is pressured to make a tackle or prevent a touchdown in order for his team to win.
Parents cannot stop commercial advertising or peer pressure that expects their kids to push the envelope, but they can educate on taking better care of themselves. A teenager can always be grounded if he/she doesn’t comply to the rules, but parents will be helpless if a backache worsens or worse, ends up paralyzing their child.
Image used under Creative Commons Licensing: Heelstretch Pyramid.jpg
Chiropractic treatment plans also include diets for herniated discs. A herniated disc is a back condition that occurs when one of the spongy discs that cushion the vertebrae breaks open or bulges. The condition is also known as a ruptured or slipped disc.
As discussed the spine is made up of 24 moveable vertebrae each of which is separated by a soft tissue like shock absorbers that are known as discs. A traumatized disc inflames painfully. If it is left as it is it can often lead to disc degeneration or bulging. This can irritate the sensitive nerves that pass through the spinal column and is where the pain is at its absolute worst.
While a herniated disc can occur in any part of the spine it is more common in the back. You can prevent yourself from ever having to suffer from a herniated disc if you include the following in your diet –
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Foods that are rich in omega 3 fatty acids have the ability to form collagen which the body uses to prevent or repair any damage to cartilage or discs that is caused by inflammation.
This nutrient is naturally found in the body and is important for the repair and maintenance of collagen which is the primary component of discs. It needs glucosamine sulfate to create the chemicals that it needs to repair cartilage, ligaments, tendons and synovial fluid that bathe the spinal joints and occurs naturally in the body.
Include this nutrient in your diet and you will do your digestion a huge favor. Fiber smoothens out the digestive process and prevents any strain on discs that may place pressure on the abdomen. It also heals the spine at the cellular level. Super foods that contain fiber include shellfish such as crab, fish, prawns and oysters. Other food items that are rich in fiber include fruits and veggies such as beets, stewed or fresh tomatoes, red peppers, black as well as blueberries. Soy products such as tofu, soy cheese and soy milk also contain a high amount of the protein.
Every type of food you consume impacts your health. Give your body the chance to heal faster by watching what you eat. Your back will be better off for it and prevent any herniated disc from cramping (pun intended) your style.
Image used under Creative Commons Licensing: Codliveroilcapsules.jpg
Good posture is very important when it comes to a healthy way of living. Chiropractors help you maintaining one. A lot of people don’t comprehend the importance of a good posture. Some experience varying degrees of pain all over the body that gradually turns into major complications. What people fail to realize is that the root of many of the simplest and even the complex of all health issues are usually linked to the body posture, in one way or another.
If someone is experiencing anything from the following symptoms, it would be a wise idea to get their posture evaluated to see if that is causing any of the complications. Fortunately, a few relatively simple exercises can help in restoring the body posture and eliminate any problems associated with it.
Following symptoms may be felt in the head due to incorrect postures:
- The person may have frequent headaches, including the ‘throbbing’ feeling
- It feels that the head may split open
- It feels as if something is pounding inside the head
- The individual may suffer from dizziness and a loss of sense of balance
- The sounds around them may seem way too loud to them along with a ringing sound in the ears
The eyes may be subjected to the following:
- The eye-sockets are painful and cause the eyes to feel sore
- Rolling the eyes causes pain
- Eyes lose their natural wetness
- The vision starts to get blurry
The neck is a quite sensitive area due to the passing spinal cord and is almost always affected by a bad posture.
- Shooting neck pain
- Muscle spasms occur regularly
- The neck feels stiff
The jaw bone is also affected by bad posture in the following way:
- The individual may start experiencing TMJ pain
- It gets painful to chew, and a popping sound is heard
- The cheek muscles start to hurt
- Shoulders are also significantly affected:
- The person may feel pain in the socket
- It may become difficult to raise arm or when trying to scratch the back
Fortunately, before any complicated problems start happening, a chiropractor can prescribe exercises that are aimed at strengthening muscles and bones and help in restoring a proper body posture. Many of the exercises are easy to do at home and are designed to relax stiff muscles, keep the spinal column in a correct shape and thereby improve the overall lifestyle.
Exercise is also a great way to avoid heart diseases, high blood pressures, diabetes and scores of other diseases that result from